The BBB Wise Giving Alliance, GuideStar USA and Independent Sector launched “Charting Impact,” a standard framework to easily and clearly understand the objectives, benchmarks for progress, and impact of nonprofits and foundations. Charting Impact uses five deceptively simple questions that require reflection and discussion about what really matters – results.
- What is your organization aiming to accomplish?
- What are your strategies for making this happen?
- What are your organization’s capabilities for doing this?
- How will your organization know if you are making progress?
- What have and haven’t you accomplished so far?
What if organizations focused these simple questions on their social media strategy using common sense measurement as my colleague Kami Huyse describes it in Geoff Livingston‘s, forthcoming book Welcome to the Fifth Estate.
What if we made sure the process for identifying SMART objectives included capacity building, measurement, and reflection? What if we stepped away from the process of checking off items on our to do list, and spent a little bit of time charting impact of our nonprofit’s social media use?